SSD and SSI For Children Lawyers
Social Security for Children in Raymond, IL
Social Security for children in Raymond, IL. Caring for a disabled child is not just mentally challenging, but it can be economically burdensome too. The United States provides a safety net for those who are income eligible so that they can afford things to help raise the child, including medical equipment, skilled nursing assistance, educational expenses, home modification costs, medical treatments, and more.
At Drummond Law, our Social Security lawyers in Raymond, IL, understand that having to file for Social Security to help cover these expenses can be overwhelming and time-consuming on top of already caring for a child that has many needs. Allow us to handle everything while you take care of your child and the rest of your family. We will help you file for Social Security for children, appeal a denial, or any other issues that you have with your claim. Contact our team or call 844-706-7710 for a free case consultation.
Help with Social Security Benefits for Children in Raymond, IL
Getting Social Security for children disability payments requires significant evidence as well as specialized or additional testing. We can help you complete and submit the initial applications and the required Child Disability Reports. Also, it is important to save all records from teachers and doctors that address your child’s condition, side effects, or special needs. We’ll help you gather all pertinent documents and present them to the SSA to demonstrate the child’s need for benefits.
There are a couple of different options for children—both child and adult— to help them get the support they need.
Drummond Law can help you file for the federal programs including, but not limited to:
- SSI for children – This may be needed when there is not enough work credits on behalf of the disabled child.
- SSDI for adult children of deceased or disabled parents – This may be needed when a disabled child over 18 years of age is reliant on a parent that is now disabled or has passed away.
A majority of claims are denied at first because many people make mistakes when applying. Our lawyers can help you avoid these mistakes to ensure you begin getting the benefits you need to keep your child and family healthy.
SSI for Children Raymond
The Social Security Disability program may be able to help disabled people, but there is a stipulation that you must have work credits built up to be eligible. While younger people have not had the opportunity to pay into the system, their families still require additional help. This is why the government offers help in the form of Supplemental Security Income. SSI provides benefits for those who do not have a work history but still require financial and medical assistance.
The qualifications include:
- Child under 18 – this includes children, grandchildren, adopted children, and stepchildren
- OR under the age of 19 – if the child is attending elementary or secondary school full-time
- Disability – The condition must limit the child’s activities and must be expected to disable them for at least 12 months or be chronic. Conditions include mental (i.e. autism, significant learning disability, drug dependence, depression, low IQ) and physical (i.e. cancer, heart transplant, cystic fibrosis, amputations, paralysis, visual and hearing loss)
- Limited/no income – The child must live at home and be under the care of a family that has limited means or no income.
If the child has been approved for and receiving SSI benefits before turning 18-years-old, his or her condition will have to be reevaluated by the Social Security Administration to determine whether or not they are still considered disabled as an adult. This is why having an experienced SSI for children lawyer in Raymond, IL, on your side from the very beginning is critical.
Social Security Disability for Adult Children Raymond
When a child turns 18 and becomes a legal adult, benefits can change dramatically which is why it’s important to prepare your child for these changes so that there are no interruptions to receiving the assistance he or she needs.
Adult children may be entitled to Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) if they’re unmarried, lost their parents, or if those parents are retired or also claiming disability. Eligibility is based on the parent’s earnings record.
The regulations surrounding SSDI benefits are different than those governing the SSI program. These requirements include:
- Disability – Eligibility is determined based on the definition of a disability for adults, rather than for children. Also, the child should be diagnosed with this disability before 22 years of age.
- Limited/no income – Child and family do not have the resources available to support themselves
- Parent qualifications – The parent is deceased, disabled, or retired and the child is left needing assistance because of this lack of support. Before this point, at least one parent should have built up work credits into Social Security in order for the child to be eligible.
Generally, it isn’t mandatory for the adult child to have work credits on their own in order to receive these benefits, but the parent should have some amount of work history in order to be eligible.
Appealing a Denial of Social Security for Children in Raymond
If you are denied benefits after filling out the application, then you should make it a point to appeal the denial. Having a Social Security lawyer in Raymond involved in the appeal process is necessary because the complicated Social Security system has rules, regulations, courts, and judges all of its own. You need someone who is aware of the workings of the process—both inside and out— and Drummond Law is there to help!
Your chances of approval go up significantly when we represent you. We’ll be by your side every step of the way as you face the Social Security Administration. Let us help you prepare for the hearing and handle the SSA’s vocational expert on your behalf. We know what to do to present your case in the most positive light.
Contact Our Disability Lawyers in Raymond, IL | Drummond Law
Our lawyers understand the serious financial, emotional, and physical hardships involved with having a child with disabilities. If you are one of these individuals, you need and deserve all the help that is available. Get in touch with our disability lawyers for help with all aspects of Social Security for children in Raymond, IL. Call Drummond Law at 844-706-7710 for a free case evaluation.