SSD and SSI For Children Lawyers
Social Security for Children in McCracken County, KY
Social Security for children in McCracken County, KY. Caring for a disabled child is not just emotionally demanding, but it may be economically burdensome as well. Fortunately, there are resources available for income-eligible families so that they can afford items to help raise the child, like medical equipment, skilled nursing assistance, educational expenses, home modification costs, medical treatments, and more.
At Drummond Law, our Social Security lawyers in McCracken County, KY, know that figuring out how to properly file for Social Security is overwhelming and time-consuming on top of the already-challenging feat of caring for a child with many needs. Allow us to handle everything while you take care of your child and the rest of your family. We want to help you file for Social Security for children, appeal a denial, or any other type of problem you may encounter during the process. Contact our team or call 844-706-7710 for a free claim review.
Help with Social Security Benefits for Children in McCracken County, KY
Getting Social Security for children benefits requires substantial evidence along with additional or specialized testing. We can help you complete and submit the Child Disability Reports and all of the initial applications. Additionally, it is crucial to save all documentation from teachers and doctors that address your child’s condition, side effects, or special needs. We’ll help you gather all pertinent documents and present them to the SSA to demonstrate the child’s need for benefits.
There are a few options for children—both young and old— to help them get the support they need.
These federal programs include, but are not limited to:
- SSI for children – This may be needed when there is not enough work credits on behalf of the disabled child.
- SSDI for adult children of deceased or disabled parents – This may be needed when a disabled child over 18 years of age is reliant on a parent that is now disabled or has passed away.
Many claims are denied at first because many people make mistakes when applying. Our attorneys can help you avoid these mistakes to ensure you begin getting the benefits you need to keep your child and family healthy.
SSI for Children McCracken County
Social Security Disability is meant to help individuals with disabilities but, in order to qualify for SSD, you need to have built-up work credits. While younger people have not had the opportunity to pay into the system, their families still require additional help. This is what the Supplemental Security Income—a needs-based program—is for! SSI provides benefits for those who do not have a work history but still require financial and medical assistance.
The qualifications include:
- Under the age of 18 – this includes children, stepchildren, adopted children, or grandchildren
- OR under the age of 19 – The child must be attending school
- Disability – The condition must limit the child’s activities and must be expected to disable them for at least 12 months or be chronic. Conditions include mental (i.e. significant learning disability, low IQ, depression, autism, drug dependence) and physical (i.e. visual and hearing loss, cystic fibrosis, paralysis, cancer, heart transplant, amputations)
- Limited resources/no income – The child is in the care of and living with a family that has limited resources.
When a child who has been receiving SSI turns 18, he or she will need to be reevaluated to see if their disability may still qualify. This is why having an experienced SSI for children lawyer in McCracken County, KY, on your side from the very beginning is critical.
Social Security Disability for Children Over 18 McCracken County
When a young person with a disability reaches the age of 18, the program can shift dramatically, so you need to prepare them and yourself so that you do not suffer any interruptions in benefits.
Adult children may be eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) if they’re unmarried, lost their parents, or if those parents are retired or also claiming disability. Eligibility is based on the parent’s earnings record.
SSDI eligibility requirements differ significantly from the SSI system. They include:
- Disability – Eligibility is determined based on the definition of a disability for adults, rather than for children. Additionally, the child must have been diagnosed with a disability before reaching the age of 22.
- Limited/no income – Both the child and the family are unable to adequately support themselves
- Parent qualifications – The parent is deceased, disabled, or retired and the child is left needing assistance because of this lack of support. Before this point, at least one parent should have built up work credits into Social Security in order for the child to be eligible.
Generally, it’s not mandatory for the adult child to have work credits on their own in order to receive these benefits, but the parent should have some amount of work history in order to qualify.
Appealing a Denial of Social Security for Children in McCracken County
If you are denied benefits after filling out the application, then you should make it a point to appeal the denial. Having a Social Security lawyer in McCracken County involved in the appeal process is essential because the complex Social Security system has courts, judges, rules, and regulations all of its own. You need a lawyer that is experienced with all of the inner workings of the SSA. Drummond Law is ready to help!
Your chances of approval increase dramatically when we represent you. We’ll be at your side every step of the way as you face the Social Security Administration. We have thorough understanding of the issues at hand and will prepare you and your child for what lies ahead. For example, at the hearing, we will be there to ask the SSA’s vocational expert the correct questions on your behalf.
Get in touch with Our Disability Lawyers in McCracken County, KY | Drummond Law
Our lawyers understand the serious financial, emotional, and physical hardships associated with having a child with disabilities. If you are one of these individuals, you need and deserve all the help that is available. Get in touch with our disability lawyers for help with all aspects of Social Security for children in McCracken County, KY. Call Drummond Law at 844-706-7710 for a no-risk case consultation.