SSD and SSI For Children Lawyers
Social Security for Children in Girard, IL
Social Security for children in Girard, IL. Caring for a disabled child is not only emotionally demanding, but it can be financially burdensome as well. Fortunately, there are resources available for income-eligible families so that they can afford items to help raise the child, like educational expenses, skilled nursing assistance, home modification costs, medical treatments, medical equipment, and more.
At Drummond Law, our Social Security lawyers in Girard, IL, know that having to file for Social Security to help cover these expenses can be time-consuming and overwhelming on top of the already-challenging feat of caring for a child with many needs. Allow us to handle everything while you take care of your child and the rest of your family. Let us help you file for Social Security for children, appeal a denial, or any other type of problem you may encounter during the process. Contact our team or call 800-842-0426 for a free case evaluation.
Applying for Social Security Benefits for Children in Girard, IL
Applying for Social Security for children benefits requires substantial evidence along with specialized or additional testing. We can help you complete and submit the Child Disability Reports and all of the initial applications. Additionally, it’s crucial to save all records from teachers and doctors that address your child’s condition, side effects, or special needs. We can help you gather these important documents to help prove your child has severe limitations that would qualify for benefits.
There are a couple of different options for children—both young and old— to support their needs as they age.
These federal programs include, but are not limited to:
A majority of claims are denied at first because many people make mistakes when applying. Our attorneys can help you avoid these errors to ensure you begin getting the benefits you need to keep your child and family healthy.
SSI for Children Girard
Social Security Disability is meant to help individuals with disabilities but, in order to qualify for SSD, you need to have built-up work credits. While younger people have not had the opportunity to pay into the system, their families still require additional help. This is why the government offers help in the form of Supplemental Security Income. SSI provides benefits for those who do not have a work history but still require financial and medical assistance.
The qualifications include:
- Child under 18 – this includes children, stepchildren, adopted children, or grandchildren
- OR under the age of 19 – if the child is attending elementary or secondary school full-time
- Disability – The condition must limit the child’s activities and must be expected to last for at least 12 months or be chronic. Conditions include mental (i.e. significant learning disability, low IQ, depression, autism, drug dependence) and physical (i.e. visual and hearing loss, cystic fibrosis, paralysis, cancer, heart transplant, amputations)
- Limited resources/no income – The child must live at home and be under the care of a family that has limited means or no income.
If the child has been approved for and receiving SSI benefits before turning 18-years-old, his or her condition will have to be reevaluated by the Social Security Administration to determine whether or not they are still considered disabled as an adult. Because of this, you should not delay getting an SSI for children lawyer in Girard, IL, involved from the start.
Social Security Disability for Adult Children Girard
When a child turns 18 and becomes a legal adult, benefits can change dramatically which is why it’s important to prepare your child for these changes so that there are no interruptions to receiving the assistance he or she needs.
Adult children may be eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) if they are unmarried, lost their parents, or if those parents are retired or claiming disability benefits themselves. Eligibility is based on the parent’s earnings record.
SSDI eligibility requirements differ significantly from the SSI system. They include:
- Disability – This is based on the definition of disability for adults and not children. Also, the child must have been diagnosed with a disability before reaching the age of 22.
- Limited resources/no income – Both the child and the family are unable to adequately support themselves
- Parent qualifications – The parent of the diasbled child is retired, disabled, or deceased, leaving the child unable to support themselves and needing assistance. At least one of the parents must have been receiving Social Security or, if the parent is deceased, then they must have worked long enough to be eligible for Social Security benefits.
Overall, it’s not mandatory for the adult child to have work credits on their own in order to receive these benefits, but the parent should have some amount of work history in order to qualify.
Appealing a Denial of Social Security for Children in Girard
If you are denied benefits after filling out the application, then you should make it a point to appeal the denial. Having a Social Security lawyer in Girard involved in the appeal process is essential because the complex Social Security system has rules, regulations, courts, and judges all of its own. You need a lawyer that is experienced with all of the inner workings of the SSA. Drummond Law is ready to help!
Your chances of approval go up dramatically when we step in. We’ll be at your side every step in the process as you face the SSA. We have thorough understanding of the issues at hand and will prepare you and your child for what lies ahead. For example, at the hearing, we will be there to ask the SSA’s vocational expert the correct questions on your behalf.
Contact Our Social Security Lawyers in Girard, IL | Drummond Law
Our team of attorneys understand the serious physical, emotional, and financial hardships associated with caring for a disabled child. If you are one of these individuals, you need and deserve all the help that is available. Get in touch with our disability lawyers for help with all aspects of Social Security for children in Girard, IL. Call Drummond Law at 800-842-0426 for a free case review.