SSD and SSI For Children Lawyers
Social Security for Children in Bunker Hill, IL
Social Security for children in Bunker Hill, IL. Caring for a child with disabilities is not only emotionally strenuous, but it can be economically taxing as well. The United States provides a safety net for those who are income eligible so that they can afford things to help raise the child, such as medical equipment, skilled nursing assistance, educational expenses, home modification costs, medical treatments, and more.
At Drummond Law, our Social Security lawyers in Bunker Hill, IL, understand that figuring out how to properly file for Social Security is overwhelming and time-consuming on top of the already-challenging feat of caring for a child with many needs. Please take care of your family while we take care of everything else. Let us help you apply for Social Security for children, appeal a denial, or any other type of problem you may encounter during the process. Contact our team or call 844-706-7710 for a free case consultation.
Applying for Social Security Benefits for Children in Bunker Hill, IL
Getting Social Security for children benefits requires significant evidence along with specialized or additional testing. We can help you fill out the Child Disability Reports and all of the initial applications. Additionally, it’s crucial to save all records from teachers and doctors that address your child’s special needs, conditions, and side effects. We’ll help you gather all pertinent documents and present them to the SSA to demonstrate the child’s need for benefits.
There are a couple of different options for children—both young and old— to support their needs as they age.
Drummond Law can help you file for the federal programs including, but not limited to:
- SSI for children – This may be needed when there is not enough work credits on behalf of the disabled child.
- SSDI for adult children of deceased or disabled parents – This may be needed when a disabled child over 18 years of age is reliant on a parent that is now disabled or has passed away.
A majority of claims are denied at first because many people make mistakes when applying. Our attorneys can help you avoid these errors to ensure you begin getting the benefits you need to keep your family and disabled child healthy.
SSI for Children in Bunker Hill, IL
The Social Security Disability program may be able to help disabled people, but there is a stipulation that you must have work credits built up to be eligible. Children do not have the opportunity to pay into the system, but that does not mean that their families do not need the additional help. This is what the Supplemental Security Income—a needs-based program—is for! SSI provides benefits for those who don’t have a work history but still require financial and medical assistance.
Eligibility requirements include:
- Under the age of 18 – this includes children, stepchildren, adopted children, or grandchildren
- OR under 19-years-old – if the child is attending elementary or secondary school full-time
- Disability – The condition must limit the child’s abilities and must be expected to last for at least 12 months or be chronic. Conditions include mental (i.e. depression, significant learning disability, low IQ, drug dependence, autism) and physical (i.e. visual and hearing loss, cystic fibrosis, paralysis, cancer, heart transplant, amputations)
- Limited resources/no income – The child is in the care of and living with a family that has limited resources.
If the child has been approved for and receiving SSI benefits before turning 18-years-old, his or her condition will have to be reevaluated by the Social Security Administration to determine whether or not they are still considered disabled as an adult. This is why having an experienced SSI for children lawyer in Bunker Hill, IL, on your side from the very beginning is critical.
SSDI for Adult Children Bunker Hill
When a child turns 18 and becomes a legal adult, benefits can change dramatically which is why it’s important to prepare your child for these changes so that there are no interruptions to receiving the assistance he or she needs.
Adult children may be eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) if they’re unmarried, lost their parents, or if those parents are retired or also claiming disability. Eligibility is based on the parent’s earnings record.
The regulations surrounding SSDI benefits are different than those governing the SSI program. These requirements include:
- Disability – Eligibility is determined based on the definition of a disability for adults, rather than for children. Additionally, the child should be diagnosed with this disability before 22 years of age.
- Limited resources/no income – Both the child and the family are unable to adequately support themselves
- Parent qualifications – The parent is deceased, disabled, or retired and the child is left needing assistance because of this lack of support. Before this point, at least one parent should have built up work credits into Social Security in order for the child to be eligible.
Generally, it is not necessary for the adult child to have work credits on their own in order to receive these benefits, but the parent should have some amount of work history in order to be eligible.
Appealing a Denial of Social Security for Children in Bunker Hill
If you are denied benefits after filling out the application, then you should make it a point to appeal the denial. Having a Social Security lawyer in Bunker Hill by your side is essential because the complicated Social Security system has courts, judges, rules, and regulations all on its own. You need a lawyer that is experienced with all of the inner workings of the SSA. Drummond Law is ready to help!
Your chances of approval go up significantly when we represent you. We’ll be at your side every step of the way as you face the SSA. Let us help you prepare for the hearing and handle the SSA’s vocational expert on your behalf. We know what to do to present your case in the most positive light.
Get in touch with Our Social Security Lawyers in Bunker Hill, IL | Drummond Law
Our lawyers understand the severe physical, emotional, and financial hardships associated with caring for a disabled child. If you are one of these individuals, you need and deserve all the help that is available. Get in touch with our disability lawyers for help with all aspects of Social Security for children in Bunker Hill, IL. Call Drummond Law at 844-706-7710 for a free case evaluation.