SSD and SSI For Children Lawyers
Social Security for Children in Crittenden County, KY
Social Security for children in Crittenden County, KY. Caring for a disabled child is not just emotionally strenuous, but it can be financially burdensome as well. The United States provides a safety net for those who are income eligible so that they can afford things to help raise the child, including medical equipment, skilled nursing assistance, educational expenses, home modification costs, medical treatments, and more.
At Drummond Law, our Social Security lawyers in Crittenden County, KY, know that having to file for Social Security to help cover these expenses can be time-consuming and overwhelming on top of already caring for a child that has many needs. Allow us to handle everything while you take care of your child and the rest of your family. We will help you file for Social Security for children, appeal a claim denial, or any other type of problem you may encounter during the process. Contact our team or call 844-706-7710 for a free claim evaluation.
Filing for Social Security Benefits for Children in Crittenden County, KY
Getting Social Security for children benefits requires substantial evidence along with specialized or additional testing. We can help you complete and submit the initial applications and the required Child Disability Reports. Additionally, it is crucial to save all records from doctors and teachers that address your child’s condition, side effects, or special needs. We can help you gather these important documents to help prove your child has severe limitations that would qualify for benefits.
There are a few options for children—both young and old— to help them get the support they need.
These federal programs include, but are not limited to:
- SSI for children – This may be needed when there is not enough work credits on behalf of the disabled child.
- SSDI for adult children of deceased or disabled parents – This may be needed when a disabled child over 18 years of age is reliant on a parent that is now disabled or has passed away.
A majority of claims are denied at first because many people make mistakes when applying. Our attorneys can help you avoid these errors to ensure you begin getting the benefits you need to keep your family and disabled child in good health.
SSI for Children in Crittenden County, KY
The Social Security Disability program may be able to help disabled people, but there is a stipulation that you must have work credits built up to be eligible. While younger people have not had the opportunity to pay into the system, their families still require additional help. This is why the government offers help in the form of Supplemental Security Income. SSI provides benefits for those who do not have a work history but need medical and financial assistance.
Eligibility requirements include:
- Under the age of 18 – this includes children, grandchildren, adopted children, and stepchildren
- OR under the age of 19 – The child must be attending school
- Disability – The condition must limit the child’s activities and must be expected to disable them for at least 12 months or be chronic. Conditions include mental (i.e. significant learning disability, low IQ, depression, autism, drug dependence) and physical (i.e. visual and hearing loss, cystic fibrosis, paralysis, cancer, heart transplant, amputations)
- Limited resources/no income – The child must live at home and be under the care of a family that has limited means or no income.
If the child has been approved for and receiving SSI benefits before turning 18-years-old, his or her condition will have to be reevaluated by the Social Security Administration to determine whether or not they are still considered disabled as an adult. This is why having an experienced SSI for children lawyer in Crittenden County, KY, on your side from the very beginning is critical.
Social Security Disability for Adult Children Crittenden County
When a child turns 18 and becomes a legal adult, benefits can change dramatically which is why it’s important to prepare your child for these changes so that there are no interruptions to receiving the assistance he or she needs.
Adult children may be eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) if they are unmarried, lost their parents, or if those parents are retired or also claiming disability. Eligibility is based on the parent’s earnings record.
SSDI eligibility requirements differ significantly from the SSI system. They include:
- Disability – This is based on the definition of disability for adults and not children. Additionally, the child should be diagnosed with a disability before 22 years of age.
- Limited resources/no income – Child and family do not have the resources available to support themselves
- Parent qualifications – The parent is deceased, disabled, or retired and the child is left needing assistance because of this lack of support. Before this point, at least one parent should have built up work credits into Social Security in order for the child to be eligible.
Overall, it is not necessary for the adult child to have work credits on their own in order to receive these benefits, but the parent should have some amount of work history in order to qualify.
How to Appeal a Denial of Social Security for Children Crittenden County, KY
If you are denied benefits after filling out the application, then you should make it a point to appeal the denial. Having a Social Security lawyer in Crittenden County involved in the appeal process is necessary because the complex Social Security system has rules, regulations, courts, and judges all on its own. You need someone who is aware of the workings of the process—both inside and out— and Drummond Law is there to help!
Your chances of approval go up dramatically when we represent you. We’ll be by your side every step in the process as you face the SSA. We have thorough understanding of the issues at hand and will prepare you and your child for what lies ahead. For example, at the hearing, we will be there to ask the SSA’s vocational expert the correct questions on your behalf.
Get in touch with Our Disability Lawyers in Crittenden County, KY | Drummond Law
Our team of attorneys understand the serious financial, emotional, and physical hardships associated with caring for a disabled child. If you are one of these individuals, you need and deserve all the help that is available. Get in touch with our disability lawyers for help with all aspects of Social Security for children in Crittenden County, KY. Call our team at 844-706-7710 for a free case evaluation.