SSD and SSI For Children Lawyers
Social Security for Children in Filmore, IL
Social Security for children in Filmore, IL. Caring for a disabled child is not just mentally arduous, but it may be economically wearisome too. Fortunately, there are resources available for income-eligible families so that they can afford items to help raise the child, including educational expenses, skilled nursing assistance, home modification costs, medical treatments, medical equipment, and more.
At Drummond Law, our Social Security lawyers in Filmore, IL, know that having to file for Social Security to help cover these expenses can be overwhelming and time-consuming on top of the already-challenging feat of caring for a child with many needs. Allow us to handle everything while you take care of your child and the rest of your family. We will help you apply for Social Security for children, appeal a denial, or any other type of problem you may encounter during the process. Contact our team or call 844-706-7710 for a free case consultation.
Applying for Social Security Benefits for Children in Filmore, IL
Getting Social Security for children benefits requires substantial evidence as well as additional or specialized testing. We can help you fill out the initial applications and the required Child Disability Reports. Also, it is crucial to save all documentation from teachers and doctors that address your child’s special needs, conditions, and side effects. We can help you gather these important documents to help prove your child has severe limitations that would qualify for benefits.
There are a few options for children—both child and adult— to help them get the support they need.
Drummond Law can help you file for the federal programs including, but not limited to:
- SSI for children – This may be needed when there is not enough work credits on behalf of the disabled child.
- SSDI for adult children of deceased or disabled parents – This may be needed when a disabled child over 18 years of age is reliant on a parent that is now disabled or has passed away.
A majority of claims are denied at first because there is an issue with the filing. Our lawyers can help you avoid these mistakes to ensure you begin getting the benefits you need to keep your family and disabled child in good health.
SSI for Children in Filmore, IL
The Social Security Disability program may be able to help disabled people, but there is a stipulation that you must have work credits built up to be eligible. Children do not have the opportunity to pay into the system, but that does not mean that their families do not need the additional help. This is what the Supplemental Security Income—a needs-based program—is for! SSI provides benefits to those who don’t have a work history but need financial and medical assistance.
Eligibility requirements include:
- Under the age of 18 – this includes children, grandchildren, adopted children, and stepchildren
- OR under the age of 19 – if the child is attending elementary or secondary school full-time
- Disability – The condition must limit the child’s activities and must be expected to last for a minimum of 12 months or be chronic. Conditions include mental (i.e. significant learning disability, low IQ, depression, autism, drug dependence) and physical (i.e. cancer, heart transplant, cystic fibrosis, amputations, paralysis, visual and hearing loss)
- Limited resources/no income – The child is in the care of and living with a family that has limited resources.
When a child who has been receiving SSI turns 18, he or she will need to be reevaluated to see if their disability may still qualify. Because of this, you should not delay getting an SSI for children lawyer in Filmore, IL, involved from the start.
Social Security Disability for Children Over 18 Filmore
When a child turns 18 and becomes a legal adult, benefits can change dramatically which is why it’s important to prepare your child for these changes so that there are no interruptions to receiving the assistance he or she needs.
Adult children may be entitled to Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) if they are unmarried, lost their parents, or if those parents are retired or claiming disability benefits themselves. Eligibility is based on the parent’s earnings record.
The regulations surrounding SSDI benefits are different than those governing the SSI program. These requirements include:
- Disability – This is based on the definition of disability for adults and not children. Additionally, the child should be diagnosed with a disability before reaching the age of 22.
- Limited resources/no income – Both the child and the family are unable to adequately support themselves
- Parent qualifications – The parent is deceased, disabled, or retired and the child is left needing assistance because of this lack of support. Before this point, at least one parent should have built up work credits into Social Security in order for the child to be eligible.
In general, it’s not mandatory for the adult child to have work credits on their own in order to receive these benefits, but the parent should have some amount of work history in order to be eligible.
Appealing a Denial of Social Security for Children in Filmore
If you are denied benefits after filling out the application, then you should make it a point to appeal the denial. Having a Social Security lawyer in Filmore by your side is essential because the complex Social Security system has regulations, rules, judges, and courts all on its own. You need a lawyer that is experienced with all of the inner workings of the SSA. Drummond Law is ready to help!
Your chances of approval go up significantly when we step in. We will be by your side every step in the process as you face the SSA. We have thorough understanding of the issues at hand and will prepare you and your child for what lies ahead. For example, at the hearing, we will be there to ask the SSA’s vocational expert the correct questions on your behalf.
Contact Our Social Security Lawyers in Filmore, IL | Drummond Law
Our lawyers understand the severe financial, emotional, and physical hardships associated with having a child with disabilities. If you are one of these individuals, you need and deserve all the help that is available. Get in touch with a disability lawyer for help with all aspects of Social Security for children in Filmore, IL. Call Drummond Law at 844-706-7710 for a no-risk case evaluation.