Questions about workers compensation?
10 Tips About Workers Compensation
Have you been injured at work? You can contact our Illinois-based lawyers today for more information.
Following are some of the Workers’ Compensation Tips we give our clients who have on-the-job injuries:
- In Illinois, it is mandatory that a worker gives notice of his work-related injury to his/her employer; notice may be verbal, written or both. Failure to give notice can result in denial of your claim. Because of this, if you get injured at work, be sure you give your employer notice of your injury.
- In Illinois, a worker can pick his own doctor. A worker does not have to treat with a company doctor, although, the company can have you examined by their doctor.
- A Workers’ Compensation claim must be filed within a certain amount of time after the work accident as determined by statute, or the claim will be denied. Make sure you contact us soon after your accident so we can ensure your claim is filed on time.
- A worker must accurately describe the accident. Our lawyers have found that many injured employees have a difficult time describing their accident so that it can be understood by treating doctors. We often help them in this process.
- Keep your lawyer advised of your medical treatment or any other issue that may develop. This will allow us to properly handle your claim and makes sure we are able to get you all the benefits to which you are entitled.
- Cooperate with your doctors and in general follow their advice! Failure to follow prescribed treatment can result in termination of benefits. Any issues with doctors need to be discussed with your lawyer.
- Do not get legal or medical advice from lay people. Often, family members and acquaintances, will try to advise you on both legal and medical aspects of your workers compensation claim. Do not accept any such advice without discussing it first with your lawyer.
- Be aware that insurance companies often hire private detectives that will follow and video tape your activities.
- Immediately contact your lawyer after an accident or a re-injury. There maybe important legal steps to be taken.
- Always keep your lawyer informed of any change of phone numbers or addresses. It is often necessary for a lawyer to contact a client on short notice.